Ingredients2 cups white sugar
½ cup cocoa
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Tools: Candy thermometer
DirectionsNote: Making perfect fudge can be a bit tricky and sometimes fudge will crystalize or not set. This old fashioned recipe makes a fantastic fudge. It is best to have a candy thermometer on hand so you know you have reached the necessary temperature.
- Butter an 8x8 inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- Grease the sides of a medium sized sauce pan with butter.
- In saucepan combine sugar, cocoa and milk.
- Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer. Do not stir again.
- Place candy thermometer in pan and cook until temperature reaches 238 degrees F (114 degrees C).
- *If you are not using a thermometer, then cook until a drop of this mixture in a cup of cold water forms a soft ball. Feel the ball with your fingers to make sure it is the right consistency. It should flatten when pressed between your fingers.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla extract.
- Beat with a wooden spoon or hand mixer until the fudge loses its shine.
- Pour into prepared pan and let cool and cut into small squares.
LOVE THIS FUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!